I wanna talk about this game I purchased a while ago, from my personal favorite gaming company Fantasy Flight, Warhammer: Chaos and the Old World.
The players take on the role of the chaos gods of the old world, each with their own style of play. The game is a 3 or 4 player territory grab game. Each god plays very differently, each with its own path to victory. The game lasts a total of 8 turns, and each turn a random event, of which there are like 50 different ones, occurs that the players must deal with.
KK, now that the rest you only need to read if this sounds like your jam. I have played this game 3 different times now, each time as a different god, each time with different outcomes.
PROS: Ima do bullet points, should go from least to most important
- GREAT pieces. Cards, chits, figures, board are all quality (one of the main reasons I gravitate to FFG)
- The shear number of event cards ensures a new, but similar, game experience each time.
- There are 3 ways to win: advancing your threat dial til it says you win, getting 50 victory points, or having the most victory points when too many cities are destroyed. The game itself can end in a draw if no one wins by the time the 8th turn has ended.
- The variety with the special cards for each god allows you to experiment with different strategies.
- 3 or 4 players is extremely restrictive. Most gaming groups are larger than this, but not large enough to support 2 games this large.
- If you are playing a god that has a play style that you don't excel at good luck, you prolly won't win.
This game is good, in enjoy it a lot. IMO 7.8 is incredibly solid, where a 10 is the most perfect game that I could play back to back to back to back...etc. Having been a victim of the second con, this is why its not rated higher. All in all I recommend it, but maybe play it first so you know if its for you.
As a final note, if there is something that you geek out about let me know and I can check out